Festival International Nuits d'Afrique -Compilation 2011
Celebrated under the theme A quarter-century of world music!, this compilation is intended to echo the pluralism of the artists and musicians who will set foot on the stage at the 25th Festival International Nuits d’Afrique.
The beautiful and distinctive guitar playing by the Touareg Bombino inaugurates the compilation. Next comes the great Manu Dibango, who offers a fully remixed version of his Soul Makossa, a ballad by Haitian singer Émeline Michel, the syncopated Colombia rhythms of the group Folklore Urbano and the warm voice of Meklit Hadero. This Ethiopian-born American does a great job of combining folk with her African inspirations – close your eyes and listen! There follows Aboulaye Koné and his group Bolo Kan with their Mandinka sounds, the enchanting pop by the Senegalese-born Majdo, and the “confirmed artist from Kenya’s very lively hip hop / Afrobeat scene” (Mondomix), Makadem. Then there is a detour to Mali, with the vibrant voice of Oumou Sangaré singing her new title Seya, and on to Algeria with Hakim Salhi, whose fusion of western electronic pop and traditional Algerian raï created a storm on the outdoor stage in 2008! The journey ends with the kora playing of Les Espoirs de Coronthie and the South African percussions of the Dizu Plaatjies Ibuyambo Ensemble.
This compilation is meant as the beginning of a great edition of the festival. To be consumed heavily.
- Ref: AFR22113
- Style: World Music
- Year: 2011
- 1. Bombino (Niger) -Tenere
- 2. Manu Dibango feat. Wayne Beckford (Cameroun) -Soul Makossa 2.0
- 3. Emeline Michel (Haiti) -Awa
- 4. Folklore Urbano (Colombia) -Fandango
- 5. Meklit Hadero (Ethiopia) -Leaving Soon
- 6. Aboulaye Koné Moriké & Bolo Kan (Ivory Coast) -Afo Gné
- 7. Madjo (France, Senegal) -Trapdoor In a Wall
- 8. Makadem (Kenya) -Nyaktiti
- 9. Oumou Sangaré (Mali) -Seya
- 10. Hakim Salhi (Algeria) -Degdaga
- 11. Les espoirs de Coronthie (Guinea) -Chéringo
- 12. The Dizu Plaatjies Ibuyambo Ensemble (South Africa) -Giya Kasiyamore