Productions Nuits d’Afrique has been committed to the humanistic values of EQUITY, SOLIDARITY and SHARING through all its activities since 1987. Aware that a healthy environment is essential for the development of its values, the team commits to reducing the Festival’s ecological print every year.
A commitment supported by our sponsor RECYC-QUÉBEC.
As an eco friendly festivalgoer :
| Get there easily either by foot, by bicycle or using public transportation.
View the Festival locations and learn about the benefits of transportation through our touristic partners.
| Bring a reusable water bottle, self-serve water fountains are available on the Festival grounds.
| Sort out with care your waste, at the 2 RECYC-QUÉBEC sorting stations
Recyclables, compostables, throwaways, cans, butts, liquids? Our green crew will be there to assist you and help you make sense of it all!
Our 2 sorting stations are accessible at the outdoor site.
| Because the best waste is the one you don’t produce, all your cleaned reusable packaging will be accepted at the bars and restaurants.
| Avoid printing your tickets and present them through your smartphone as you enter the event.
| Share the promo tools from the Festival with your friends and family or recycle them at the end of their use.
Amongst the environmental actions of the Festival :
- Adoption of a major waste management plan;
- A significant reduction in the amount of printed material used by diversifying communications strategies;
- Plastic water bottles banned from sale, with the support of our partner Onibi
- Establishment of water fountains in our public areas and behind the scenes;
- Involvement of the restaurant owners for a sustainable food offer (vegetarian and vegan options, recycling of frying oils, selection of recyclable or compostable packaging, composting for all restaurant, etc);
- Raising awareness among the public and all the participants about waste sorting by our Green Team;
- Involvement in the green squad of the youth of the Youth House, L’escalier of Lachine; and training of our green team by the Eco-quartier Saint-Jacques of the ASCCS.
- Zero Waste Catering to Artists and local economy with the passionate participation of Fait maison, 100 façons ;
- Collect and disposal at the ecocentre of the residual materials (batteries, light bulbs, electronics, paper & cardboard, wood);
- Donation of unclaimed lost items and single-use items to community organizations;
- Impact assessment: calculation and characterization of residual materials and greenhouse gas emissions of the Festival. The 2022 outdoor edition generated 5 tons of residual materials, i.e. 3.2 tons of CO2 equivalent, 33% of compostable materials, 22% of donations, ecocenter and deposit deposits, 7% of recyclable materials and 33% of final waste.
- Double compensation of greenhouse gas emissions related to residual materials, i.e. 6.4 tons of CO2 equivalent and 46 trees planted, through the Carbone Boréal forest reforestation and climate change research program.
💚 Our rewards
- This year, the Festival is the lucky winner of the Vivats in the categories of Responsible waste management and Prevention and reduction at source. The competition organized by the Conseil québécois des événements écoresponsables rewards organizers who have distinguished themselves through their commitment.
- An encouraging result:
- Nearly 5 tons of compostable material collected by our recommended supplier Compost Montréal since 2019
- Over 5,700 single-use plastic bottles saved behind the scenes since 2021
- 46 trees planted through Carbone Boréal’s forest reforestation and research program
- A balanced volume of residual materials despite the major expansion of the Festival
Be involved in the process, as a sponsor, partner, provider or volunteer.