Productions Nuits d’Afrique has been promoting humanist values of EQUITY, SOLIDARITY and SHARING in all of its activities since 1987. Aware that a sustainable environment is important for these values to flourish, the team is committed to reduce the Festival’s ecological footprint every year and to meet eco-responsible objectives.
An approach supported by our sponsor RECYC-QUÉBEC.
As a Festival participant, take part in the movement :
- Bring your own reusable water bottle, as self-service water fountains are available on the Festival site.
- Use an active mode of transport such as cycling to the festival, or a less polluting mode such as public transport, electric car or carpooling.
- Sort your waste at the 3 RECYC-QUÉBEC sorting stations : Recyclables, compostables, disposables, cans, cigarette butts, liquids? Our green squad will help you sort it all out!
- The best waste being the waste we don’t produce, all your clean reusable containers will be accepted in bars & restaurants.
- Avoid printing your tickets and rather present them on your smartphone when entering the concert hall.
- Share Festival promotional tools with your friends and family, or recycle them after they have been used.
Among the Festival’s environmental initiatives :
- Adoption of an ambitious waste management plan;
- Major reduction in the number of prints with the diversification of our communication strategies;
- Plastic water bottles banned from sale, thanks to the support of our partner Onibi;
- Installation of public water fountains on site and backstage;
- Involvement of restaurateurs for a sustainable food offer (100% of compostable containers, vegetarian options in all restaurants, recycling of cooking oil, mandatory composting in the kitchen, etc.);
- Awareness-raising for the public and all participants on selective sorting led by our green squad;
- Involvement in the green squad by the young from the Maison des jeunes de l’Escalier de Lachine ; and training of our green squad by the Ville-Marie eco-quartier of Sainte-Marie and Saint-Jacques;
- Catering service for artists with a zero-waste objective;
- Collect and dispose of residual materials (batteries, light bulbs, electronics, paper & cardboard, wood) at the ecocenter;
- Donation of unclaimed lost items and single-use materials to community organizations;
- Impact assessments: calculation and characterization of the Festival’s residual materials and greenhouse gas emissions. The 2022 outdoor edition generated 5 tons of residual materials, equivalent to 3.2 tons of CO2, 33% of compostable materials, 22% of donations, ecocenter depots and deposits, 7% of recyclable materials and 33% of final waste.
- Doubled compensation of greenhouse gas emissions linked to residual materials, 6.4 tonnes of CO2 equivalent and 46 trees planted, through Carbone Boréal‘s forest reforestation and climate change research program.
Recognition for a responsible event management
The Festival team is pleased to announce that this 37th edition has achieved level 2 of the Standards Council of Quebec in Responsible Event Management. This classification has been certified by the Conseil québécois des événements écoresponsables (CQEER), initiated by the Réseau des femmes en environnement.
💚 Our awards
- The Festival is the proud winner of the Vivats 2022 awards in the Responsible Waste Management and Prevention and Reduction at Source categories. The prize organized by the Conseil québécois des événements écoresponsables rewards organizers who have distinguished themselves through their commitment.
- The Festival international Nuits d’Afrique has been awarded a Distinction prize in the Sustainable Tourism category by Tourism Montreal for its 2021-2023 residual materials management plan that aims to achieve 100% of Montreal’s eco-responsibility index objectives by 2023.
- Nearly 5 tons of compostable materials collected by our recommended supplier Compost Montreal since 2019
- Over 5,700 single-use plastic bottles saved backstage since 2021
- 46 trees planted through Carbone Boréal’s forest reforestation and research program
- Un volume de matières résiduelles à l’équilibre malgré l’agrandissement majeur du Festival en 2022
Get involved as a sponsor, partner, supplier or volunteer.